James has an extensive Crown Court practice and is instructed to both prosecute and defend. James prosecutes on behalf of the CPS (Grade 2), the UK Border Agency and the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills.
James’ practice encompasses all areas of criminal law with a particular focus on sexual and violent offences. He has previously lectured on the criminalisation of the transmission of sexually transmitted diseases. He also maintains a busy road traffic case load, with experience of representing Defendants accused of causing death by the manner of their driving both in the Courts and at Inquest.
Recent instructions include:
- R v W – Prosecution of an elderly male with capacity issues for several sexual assaults in Gloucestershire, including a child.
- R v J – Prosecution of a 28 year old male who groomed a child via Tinder, resulting in sexual intercourse.
- R v NG – Prosecution of a male who distributed indecent images online and offered to share photographs of his new-born baby.
- R v G – Defence of a man accused of the sexual assault of an on duty police officer
- R v D. Sexual Assault. Prosecution of herbal therapist charged with groping a patient during a consultation. The case involved expert medical evidence and the cross examination of the Defendant through an interpreter.
- R v L – Secured acquittal of a police officer who was accused of assaulting a prisoner
- R v C – Secured acquittal of a young woman for an alleged robbery at Woolwich Crown Court
- R v J. Section 18. Prosecution of a youth charged with ‘glassing’ the father of a friend during an argument.
- R v C. Secured acquittal of Army Corporal on two charges of Common Assault, with third charge being dismissed at half-time
- R v S. Defence of a nursery manager accused of physical harm and abuse of children.
- R v W, W and R – Prosecution of a multi-handed affray and s20 GBH.
- R v D – Defence of a man charged with s16 and s19 Firearms Act offences after discharging an air pistol at his brother.
- R v C – Defence of a man charged with a s16A Firearms Act offence. The Prosecution eventually accepted a lesser plea.
- R v W. Represented a man who was charged with possession of CS gas bullets and firearm. Following mitigation from James, the Defendant was given a six month suspended sentence, rather than the statutory five year minimum term.
POCA and Fraud
- Secured conviction of a man at Gloucester Crown Court who stole £12,500 worth of cigarettes and tobacco from his employer.
- R v G. Successfully argued that the Defendant did not have means to pay both compensation and confiscation, resulting in an order that the compensation be paid directly out of the confiscated amount.
- R v H. Confiscation proceedings with initial benefit placed above £250,000. Prosecution eventually agreed to a figure of just over £60,000.
- R v H. Defence of a woman for benefit fraud at Bristol Crown Court.
- R v W. Represented Defendant charged with death by careless driving.
- R v D. Defence of a man accused of drink driving. On appeal, James had the case dismissed as an abuse of process and a £10,000 costs order was made.
- R v G. Represented a young man of previous good character at his sentencing hearing for excess alcohol.
2005-2008 BA (Hons) – Royal Holloway, University of London
2008-2009 GDL/CPE – London South Bank University
2009-2010 BVC – City Law School
British Academy of Forensic Sciences Prize for highest mark in the Advanced Criminal Litigation module on the BVC.
James is a SCUBA Diving instructor and can often be found exploring the numerous shipwrecks in the English Channel. He also enjoys cricket, ice hockey and supporting Bath Rugby.