Philip Warren is a highly persuasive trial advocate with in-depth knowledge of criminal proceedings and a particular specialism in sexual offences. He is a member of the CPS specialist rape panel. Philip’s close attention to detail makes him a good choice of counsel in cases of factual complexity.
Philip is recognised by his peers and clients for:
- stylish and effective advocacy
- meticulous preparation
- prompt, realistic and practical advice
- in-depth knowledge of law and procedure
- excellent communication with defendants and instructing solicitors
Examples of recent work include:
- R v P: allegation of historic buggery of infant brother and perverting the course of justice; instructed to defend DP, Philip successfully argued for severance of the perverting charge; at trial DP was acquitted
- R v B: instructed to prosecute case of historic rape and other serious sexual allegations; multiple complainants; extensive legal issues relating to law applicable at the time of the various allegations which spanned decades, bad character and joinder / severance of pornographic image charges; conviction secured and defendant dealt with as dangerous offender; defendant’s appeal abandoned after lodging of respondent’s notice
- R v W: armed robbery; instructed for defendant
- R v X: attack with weapon leaving victim almost entirely blind in one eye; instructed for prosecution
Admitted as a Solicitor 1981.